UNTIL FEBRUARY 7th, YOUR DONATIONS WILL BE MATCHED BY OUR COMMUNITY PARTNER,
ELIZABETH SHATNER'S THE ALL GLORY PROJECT!
DIAVOLO’s The Veterans Project
“A Long Journey Home”
This program has the gigantic opportunity to present its work at The Kennedy Center on February 23rd & 24th, 2018. We need your help to get our veterans to our nation's capital and to help expose this work to policy makers!
Conceived by DIAVOLO Executive Director Jennifer Cheng and led by DIAVOLO Artistic Director Jacques Heim, The Veterans Project is equal parts community, creativity and discovery and is one of the most ambitious and humbling undertakings in DIAVOLO’s 25 year history.
Inspired by Sebastian Junger's novel Tribe and the rich stories of the veterans in our own community, this program gives it's veteran participants new victories in their post-service lives and begins to truly restore the core inner strengths of hope, optimism, self-belief and resiliency that had diminished during their difficult transition back into civilian life.
This project aims to...
- use the practice of movement arts as a tool of human development aimed upon the restoration and transformation of individual and experientially-gained abilities of military veterans;
- use performance pieces to be presented nationally for the purpose of offering society a deeper awareness of the value of military veterans and the challenges they face of reintegration;
- create a better understanding of the essence of the human life events of contemporary military service members.
PRESENTING THIS WORK AROUND OUR COUNTRY WILL...
- promote understanding as a basis for empathy (not sympathy) towards our veteran community as an act of public good;
- offer audience members a new conceptual understanding of the human dimensions of military service and reintegration as an alternative to current “victim-hero” stereotypes;
- provide the ability to offer residency programs in conjunction with the performance piece that enable veterans around the country to engage in our movement arts program.